Back to graph

Topic analysis

Middle East: Iran says any new attack will widen war

Iran's army has threatened to "open new fronts" in Tehran's war with the US and Israel in the event of new attacks. DW has the latest. Tired of missing our real-time updates? Click here to add us as a Preferred Source on Google , then tap "Star" or "Preferred" to keep DW news at the top of your feed. The United Arab Emirates demanded that Iraq "immediately" prevent any more attacks launched from its territory. The country's foreign ministry called on "Iraq to prevent all hostile acts originating from its territory urgently and without conditions," saying there was a "need to address those threats promptly, immediately and responsibly." This call followed an accusation by the UAE's defense ministry that the ​drone that ​caused a fire ​at ‌the Barakah nuclear power plant ​on ⁠Sunday had been launched from Iraq. Last month, several Gulf countries, including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, as well as Jordan, issued a joint statement demanding that Baghdad take immediate action to prevent pro-Iranian armed groups from launching attacks from its territory. Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan welcomed US President Donald Trump's decision to "give diplomacy a chance" after Trump announced that he had called off planned strikes on Iran . Bin Farhan wrote on social media that Saudi Arabia "highly appreciates the US President Donald Trump's decision to give diplomacy a chance to reach an acceptable agreement to end the war." He added that the kingdom remained supportive of ongoing mediation efforts carried out by Pakistan and urged Iran to seize "the opportunity to avoid the dangerous implications of escalation." Earlier this week, Trump announced that Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar had requested that he postpone a planned US strike on Iran, in order to allow more time for negotiations. To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video The oil price rises triggered by the US attack on Iran and the subsequent blockage of the Strait of Hormuz continue to benefit Russia and its oil industry amid its invasion of Ukraine.  The UK on Wednesday implemented a carve-out to its sanctions on Russia, allowing imports of diesel and jet fuel refined abroad from Russian crude oil.  "We ​have to make sure that we protect the security of supply for really important foundational goods in our economy, such as jet ​oil," a junior minister at the Treasury, Dan Tomlinson, told the BBC on Wednesday. The new rules come into effect on Wednesday indefinitely, but the government has said it will review the need for them periodically. The US recently extended a similar waiver allowing energy-vulnerable countries hit by the disruption in the Strait of Hormuz to purchase Russian oil.  This means not only that Russia can earn more from selling crude at inflated prices, but that it can sell more of it as well.  Opposition Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch and Prime Minister Keir Starmer clashed over the move in the House of Commons on Wednesday.  Badenoch accused the government of "choosing to buy dirty Russian oil."  Starmer, meanwhile, described the carve-out as a "targeted, short term" license, that was part of a "strong new package" of sanctions going "well beyond existing measures."  To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Iran 's Revolutionary Guards navy announced on Wednesday that they had permitted over 25 vessels, including oil tankers and container ships, to transit the Strait of Hormuz within the last 24 hours.   The navy added that the ships passed after "coordination and security provided by the IRGC navy." Since the outbreak of war with the United States and Israel on February 28, Iran has largely blocked shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global waterway. Despite the ceasefire, Iran has been under a US naval blockade since April 13 and has insisted that ships passing through the strait obtain permission from the Iranian armed forces. Last week, Iran announced that it had permitted more than 30 ships, including some Chinese vessels, to pass the Strait of Hormuz. To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Activists aboard a Gaza -bound aid flotilla, which was intercepted by Israeli naval forces, are being detained at the Israeli port of Ashdod before being taken to prison, according to an Israeli rights group and the flotilla's organizers. Israel-based legal rights group Adalah said in a statement the activists had been "detained at Ashdod port" and "taken into Israel against their will as Adalah ​attorneys enter for legal consultations." The group has previously represented activists in Israeli courts. In a statement, the flotilla's organizers said the activists would be taken to Ketziot prison in the Negev Desert in southern Israel. They added that Adalah lawyers would not be able to meet with the activists until they arrive at Ketziot. Israel stated that all 430 activists on the flotilla's vessels had been moved to Israeli ships and that they would be permitted to meet with their consular representatives upon their arrival in Israel. Activists aboard previous flotillas that were intercepted by Israel were deported after being detained. Meanwhile, Italy's government said that Israel's treatment of the flotilla activists was unacceptable. The government said that it would summon the Israeli ambassador for an explanation. In a strongly worded statement, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Italy "demands an apology for the treatment of the activists and the total disrespect for the Italian government's requests." On Wednesday, Itamar Ben Gvir, Israel's far-right National Security Minister, posted a video showing detained flotilla activists kneeling with their hands tied behind their backs and their foreheads on the ground. The video, published on Ben Gvir's X account with the caption "Welcome to Israel," shows the activists on the deck of a military boat while the Israeli national anthem plays. The video then shows the activists in detention in Israel, where Ben Gvir is seen waving an Israeli flag. The Palestinian Islamist group  Hamas condemned the released footage, describing it as evidence of the "moral depravity" of Israeli leaders. Hamas, which carried out the October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel, is considered a terrorist group by Israel, the US, the UK and several other countries.  Iranian parliament speaker and chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said that the United States is seeking to restart the war and still hopes that Iran will surrender. "The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," he said in an audio message.  Qalibaf added that ​Iran's military was preparing a "forceful response" to potential renewed attacks by the United States and Israel, adding that "Iran will never give in to intimidation, under any circumstances." Since announcing a ceasefire on April 8, US President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened Tehran with renewed military action. In response, Iranian officials have warned of devastating retaliation. To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Israel's parliament, the Knesset, voted to dissolve itself, taking the first step toward a possible early election. In a preliminary vote in Jerusalem, 110 of the Knesset’s 120 lawmakers voted in favor of the governing coalition's proposal and none against, while the rest did not cast their vote. The measure, which is supported by the opposition, must pass three more readings before it can take effect. If the bill is ultimately approved, elections will automatically be triggered after 90 days. Currently, polls are scheduled to take place by October 27, which is the last day of the legislative term. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is under increasing pressure from ultra-Orthodox parties, and his fractious right-wing coalition seems to be on the verge of collapse. The ultra-Orthodox parties accuse Netanyahu of failing to deliver on his promise to pass legislation that would permanently exempt young men in their community from compulsory military service if they study in yeshivas (religious seminaries). South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun on Wednesday told parliamentarians in Seoul that an oil tanker sailing under the nation's flag had passed through the Strait of Hormuz, bound for the port of Ulsan. "At this very moment, our oil tanker is passing through the Strait of Hormuz," he told the National Assembly. MarineTraffic, a ship-tracking site, showed the South Korean-flagged, crude oil tanker Universal Winner in the Gulf of Oman on Wednesday after it departed the port of Mina Al Mhadi in Kuwait. Previously, another South Korean tanker sailing under a Panamanian flag was hit by airborne objects and damaged in the strait on May 4, sparking concerns about the safety of the country's ships. China 's President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for a "comprehensive ceasefire" that could open the path toward a cessation of  hostilities in the Middle East . Commenting during a visit by Russian President Vladimir Putin ,  Xi said, "A comprehensive ceasefire is of the utmost urgency, resuming hostilities is even more inadvisable and maintaining negotiations is particularly important."   The US and Iran struck a tentative ceasefire in mid-April after Washington and Israel launched attacks on Iran on February 28, yet the pause in open hostilities has failed to lead to any conclusion to the conflict. Lebanon 's Health Ministry on Wednesday said at least 19 people had been killed and another 32 injured by Israeli airstrikes on Tuesday. Several children were among those killed as Israel continued its attempts to destroy Iran-backed Hezbollah militant cells, the Health Ministry said. Israeli strikes reportedly hit targets in the village of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, the city of Nabatiyeh, and across the Tyre district. The conflict between Hezbollah and Israel reached new levels of intensity in the wake of the Israeli-US assault on Iran in late February. More than 3,000 people have been killed in southern Lebanon since early March and millions have been displaced. Despite a mid-April ceasefire , both sides have continued the fight, with Israeli forces in northern Israel and southern Lebanon being targeted as Israel pounds the neighboring nation in hopes of establishing a security zone to protect Israeli citizens. The US State Department on Wednesday said an Iranian citizen with permanent residency in the United States has been released from an Iranian prison. "The State Department happily welcomes the safe return of Shahab Dalili from his detention in Iran. Iran should immediately release all those unjustly detained in Iran," a State Department spokesperson said. According to the Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), "Shahab Dalili, an Iranian citizen and US permanent resident who had been imprisoned in Evin Prison , was released after serving 10 years in prison. Following his release, he returned to the United States."  Dalili was arrested in 2016 when he visited Iran to attend his father's funeral. He was jailed for allegedly "cooperating with a hostile government," a charge he has denied. Speaking after Dalili's release, the US State Department said President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio would "continue to work for the release of all unjustly detained Americans." Iran's army on Wednesday threatened to "open new fronts" in the war with the US and Israel. "If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it, with new equipment and new methods," army spokesman Mohammed Akraminia told Iranian state news agency ISNA. The statement comes just days after US President Donald Trump said he would hold off on planned strikes against Iran in hopes of attaining a peace deal with Iran. Hello and welcome to DW's coverage of the ongoing US-Israeli war against Iran and wider developments across the Middle East on this Wednesday, May 20, 2026. Today we will follow an Iranian army threat to expand the conflict far beyond the region in the event of new US attacks, as well as Iran's release of an Iranian-born US permanent resident. Chinese President Xi Jinping today also warned that further hostilities in the region would be "inadvisable" in comments made while hosting Russian President Vladimir Putin.  Meanwhile, Israel continued to pound Lebanon, where airstrikes killed 19 people and injured dozens more.

Heat score

1

Sources

1

Platforms

1

Relations

0
First seen
May 21, 2026, 4:00 AM
Last updated
May 21, 2026, 12:01 AM

Why this topic matters

Middle East: Iran says any new attack will widen war is currently shaped by signals from 1 source platforms. This page organizes AI analysis summaries, 1 timeline events, and 0 relationship edges so search engines and AI systems can understand the topic's factual basis and propagation arc.

News

Keywords

10 tags
anyattackwillwidenwararmyhasthreatenedopenfronts

Source evidence

1 evidence items

Middle East: Iran says any new attack will widen war

News · 1
May 21, 2026, 4:00 AMOpen original source

Timeline

Middle East: Iran says any new attack will widen war

May 21, 2026, 4:00 AM

Related topics

No related topics have been aggregated yet, but this page still preserves the AI summary, source links, and timeline.